Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Brief statment of my beliefs today

I don't believe there's a god. At least not in the "he's-everywhere, can-see-it-all, knows-it-all, and will-reward-or-punish-you-for-your-deeds kinda way" Yes, that singularity that exploded a long time ago and we now call universe must have had a start. One beyond our understanding. I'm OK with calling that god.

I certainly don't believe the universe's purpose is having US here. We're such a tiny new thing, immerse in an enormous old place. Makes no sense for us to be the sole objective of it all. I believe we're here because zillions of years of physics and chemistry, combined with evolution made the time and place right for us to exist, and eventually take care of our own extinction.

I don't believe we're here for any particular reason, or for any definite purpose. I believe in nothingness after death. It doesn't scare me, and there's no need or use in trying to imagine it, since nothing is just that and I will have no conscience of it.

Nevertheless, I believe in finding a purpose, a reason to live; but simply as a means of enjoying our time here and living happily.

I believe in helping those less fortunate than us achieve as much happiness as they can.

I believe the world would be a much better place if we all shared at least one value: respect. No 'love your neighbor as yourself' bull. Despise him, envy him... it will only make you unhappy; might as well try to like him and be good friends, but in any case RESPECT him. Live happily and don't get in the way of others' happiness.

As for me, it make it my goal in life to see as much of the world as possible and learn as much as my brain can take. So many great places to see, cultures, points of view, people, knowledge... I just can't feel easy being at the same place for too long.

I hope someday I'll love someone, and this someone will love me, and we'll follow each other all around the world because we share the same goal.

Finally, I wish that everywhere I go and everywhere I've been, there's at least one person that has a good memory of me. If I'm headed to nothingness, I might as well linger on for a bit in someone's mind.

No comments: